Friday, November 11, 2016

About once every 30 years


Like most people who sew I'll take a new project over an alteration or repair anyday, but sometimes it really is worth it.

I have a well loved (and worn) leather jacket, who's lining was very shot.  Having relined a beloved wool coat worn during college a few years post, I knew it was a job I could tackle.

Having a coat relined professionally is cost prohibitive.

Doing it myself it was done in 3 days and the cost was just $10 for a perfect piece of lining.

I carefully removed the old lining:



As you can see it really needed being replaced.  I certainly couldn't take it off in front of a customer anymore.

Used it as a pattern to cut the new lining.  It's not always the recommended way to go, but it worked out fine.
I picked up the lining at Fabrics Garden on 39th .  I usually go there for inexpensive fabrics to use for lining.  A lovely silver twill for $5.00 a yard.

The label and the hang chain were carefully replaced.


 

My very useful jacket, for the current weather, is now being worn again.



6 comments:

  1. that looks fantastic, probably a bit tedious but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth, It really wasn't too bad. Went together pretty easily all things considered. Not perfect by any means, but functional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often shy away from doing this, but you make it look worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the coat is in good shape and gets a lot of wear it certainly is. It went smoothly and I wasn't aiming for perfection, but I didn't blogogize.

      Delete
  4. Nice! The new lining is even better than the old lining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree and maybe it will last till the end.

      Delete